A history of Hargate Hall
We are always looking to add more to this page. If you know anyone who has lived or worked here before 1993, we would like to see or hear any stories, information or pictures you may have.
Have a look at our blog to see a letter sent to us from a gentleman born at Hargate Lodge in 1922. blog.hargate-hall.co.uk/history/
Hargate Hall was built in 1899. The original owner was Joseph Wainwright, but partway through construction it changed hands. The new owner, Robert Whitehead, completed the building but also made some substantial additions. The picture below shows Hargate Hall under construction while owned by Joseph Wainwright. Robert Whitehead had interests far and wide. I found the following biographical note on him "Whitehead, Robert, J.P. Ex-Sheriff of Derbyshire. Deputy-Chairman, Staveley Coal & Iron Co. Ltd. Chairman of Bengers Food Co. Ltd. His Directorates include the following : Vice-Chairman of the Staveley Coal & Iron Co. Ltd.; Director of Cammell, Laird & Co. Ltd.; and a Director of the Leeds Forge Co. Ltd., the Newlay Wheel Co. Ltd., the Tranmere Bay Developing Co., the Midland Railway Carriage and Wagon Co. Ltd., the Firbeck Collieries Ltd., the Newstead Colliery Co. Ltd., the Brodsworth Main Colliery Co. Ltd., the Yorkshire Main Colliery Co. Ltd., the Doncaster Collieries Association Ltd., Wagon Finance Corporation, English Steel Corporation Ltd., Metropolitan Cammell Wagon Finance Co. Ltd., Patent Shalt Co. Ltd., British Soda Co. Ltd. Private Address: Hargate Hall, Millers Dale, via Buxton, Derbyshire.
Source: 1933 Colliery Year Book and Coal Trades Directory " . When he took over Hargate Hall he added the extra storey to the tower above the front door and added a coach house (now our house), Although now private houses, he also added the lodge, stables, orangery and potting shed.
Hargate Hall being built
The high Peak Hunt met regularly at Hargate Hall
What was probably relatively formal gardens at the front is now grass and carpark.
There used to be an orangery and other greenhouses running from the Coach House to the Stables. These ended up in a state of disrepair and were sebsequently pulled down.
We then have some pictures of how the interior of Hargate Hall once looked.